Mar 2021 - Present (2 years 6 months)
Responsible for design of daily broadsheet sections of the Star Tribune, with an emphasis on News, Business and Sports. Duties also include data visualization and curation, art direction and coordination with freelance illustrators for special coverage. CMS: Chorus, Newsgate/Newscycle, InDesign.
Senior Print Production Specialist
Jan 2011 - Mar 2021 (10 years 2 months)
Responsible for planning and execution of editing and design of daily newspapers within the Tribune’s Design & Production Studio, with a primary focus on News, Sports and Business sections of the Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribune, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida Sun Sentinel, and shared national wire-service content. CMS: Arc, CCI/Newsgate, Newscycle, InDesign.
• Promoted to Senior Print Production Specialist in January 2019.
• Helped produce weekly Bear Download and Digital Plus digital magazines using InDesign and Mag+ publishing software.
• Led transition of Orlando Sentinel and South Florida Sun Sentinel to the DPS in 2018, established style guidelines, design workflow for News, Business and Sports sections.
• Duties included section budgeting, page design, headline writing, copy editing, photo editing, proofreading and coordination of local and national content.
• Coordinated and designed special sections produced by DPS. Previously served same role for the Chicago Tribune’s Business, Health and Features sections and quarterly literary magazine, Printer’s Row Journal. Assignments included layout and correspondence with freelance contributors and editors across departments.
• Contributor to Tribune’s print and digital products as writer and photographer, reporting on food and dining trends with an emphasis on Chicago’s coffee industry. Also wrote stories, essays for Tribune and its national distribution network via Tribune Content Agency.
• Managed group of 20 editors and designers within sports cluster of the DPS; member of overall management team overseeing presentation, scheduling, training and mentorship.
• During onset of coronavirus pandemic helped lead initiative to expand sports coverage in e-edition of top-circulation dailies.
• Served as night editor and Chicago liaison for Tribune’s Media On Demand team, initiated nightly production report protocol, conducted content audits and managed story inventory.