- + Follow
C. Sven Johnson
Los Angeles, CA
Well-traveled hybrid industrial designer/engineer with over 20 years of combined management, engineering, industrial design and 3D simulation interface experience; as comfortable sketching on trace as generating complex 3D CAD surfaces in Creo or Alias (and increasingly in SolidWorks); discussing anything from high level design strategy to programming languages; from tooling strategies and mold design to additive manufacturing technologies.
Sr. Industrial Designer
- Intelligent Product Solutions
- Los Angeles, CA
- Aug 2010 - Present (3 years 4 months)
Senior industrial designer by title but operating in varying capacities from staff designer to design manager; reporting directly to the company's director of industrial design. As such, I contribute at all levels, including but not limited to:
- writing/editing proposals
- meeting with potential clients
- conducting design research
- generating concept sketches and foam mock-ups
- creating concept 3D renderings (usually KeyShot) and Powerpoint presentations
- sourcing and quoting for both prototypes and short production runs
- providing 3D CAD (usually in Creo, SolidWorks or Alias) for tooling and working closely with engineering on tooling strategies
- assisting in UI development (including high-level brainstorms, providing assets to embedded software developers, and even deriving mathematical relations for mathematically challenged coders)
- providing detailed CMF and product graphics documentation
- managing junior designers (and sometimes engineers)
I am currently a remote employee operating in the Los Angeles area, but frequently travel to New York for business.
- Jan 2003 - Aug 2010 (7 years 7 months)
Concept to CAD industrial design and 3D simulation/virtual world development services. Involved in everything from product line development, concept ideation, and 3D CAD documentation to helping develop an Emmy Award-winning 3D virtual world for a large multinational.
- Apr 2008 - Apr 2010 (2 years)
Author of the design-centric "Future Imperfect" for Futurismic ( http://futurismic.com ). The column's subject matter is primarily geared toward emerging technologies in fields such as rapid manufacturing and augmented reality.
- Institute for the Future
- Sep 2008 - Nov 2008 (2 months)
Contracted to operate as an "Assistant Game Master"; i.e. to provide administrative management of and contribute expertise in relevant topic areas for the Superstruct "serious" game/crowdsourcing effort ( http://www.superstructgame.org ).
Superstruct is/was the first massively multi-player foresight game launched by the Institute for the Future. The effort officially ran for six weeks and now continues unofficially.
- The Electric Sheep Company
- May 2006 - Dec 2006 (7 months)
Originally contracted to provide art direction and virtual world user experience/marketing advice for the development of MTV's first virtual world project, Virtual Laguna Beach, I primarily assumed the traditional role of 3D Technical Director; both managing subcontractors and contributing as designer/3D modeler/texture artist. Duties included everything from generating concept art for approval by the show's producers to coordinating with other content development groups as well as maintaining a localized version of the virtual world application for content validation and final preparation for deployment. The project was awarded an Emmy in 2008.
- 2004 - 2006 (2 years)
Contributed written entries to Core77's design-related news blog from 2005 until 2006.
Moderated the Core77 design forum from 2004 until 2005, including the organization and management of the first forum-based design competition.
Senior Industrial Designer
- Applica Consumer Products
- Sep 1999 - Jul 2002 (2 years 10 months)
Senior product designer assigned to Food Prep, Home Environment, Garment Care, and Specialty product lines under the Black & Decker brand. Involved in all aspects of product development; often including mechanism design, product graphics, and marketing visuals. Acquired additional, significant overseas experience in China and Mexico while managing product development projects.
- May 1999 - Sep 1999 (4 months)
Primarily involved in on-site Alias design modeling for a national design consulting firm.
- Rubbermaid, Inc
- Sep 1996 - May 1999 (2 years 8 months)
Staff designer assigned to hardware, seasonal and cleaning product category teams. Involved in all aspects of product development; from consumer encounters market research to Pro/ENGINEER CAD; from concept ideation to overseas tooling, including product development in both Japan and China.
Industrial Design Consultant
- Babcock & Schmid Associates
- May 1994 - Aug 1996 (2 years 3 months)
On-site industrial design contractor primarily responsible for generating product concepts and design control drawings. Significant time spent developing handheld/mobile wireless data collection devices, consumer media storage products, industrial hardware (welders, spray guns, aso) and lawn products.
U.S. Naval Officer
- U.S. Navy
- May 1985 - May 1989 (4 years)
Commissioned officer with primary duties having included:
- Ship's Navigator and Administrative Department Head
- Ship's Lead Engineer/QA Team Manager for major ship's overhaul (>$40M)
- Division Officer responsible for concurrently managing two engineering divisions of over 70 personnel.
- Command Duty Officer qualified; primary Officer of the Deck (underway/special ops)
Secondary duties included but not limited to: Ship's Training Officer, Firefighting Team Leader, Ship's Self Defense Force Team Leader, and Ship's Overseas Liaison.
Cleveland Institute of Art
- BFA Industrial Design
- 1989 - 1994
University of Notre Dame
- B.Sc. Aerospace Engineering
- 1981 - 1985
Art Director for Emmy Award Winning MTV Virtual World Project, 2006
Excellence in Design, Appliance Manufacturer Runner-Up, Kitchen Products, 2001
Individual Achievement Award, Applica Consumer Products, 2000
Ford Motor Company Industrial Design Scholarship, 1993-94
Fisher-Price Industrial Design Scholarship, 1992-93
Cleveland Institute of Art Competition...
show more »