- + Follow
C. Sven Johnson
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Product designer with over 20 years of combined management, engineering, industrial design and 3D simulation interface experience; as comfortable sketching as generating complex tooling-ready CAD files; discussing anything from high level design strategy to programming languages; from tooling strategies and mold design to additive manufacturing technologies.
Senior industrial designer by title but operating in varying capacities from staff designer to design manager; reporting directly to the company's director of industrial design. As such, I contribute at all levels, including but not limited to:
- writing/editing proposals
- meeting with potential clients
- conducting design research
- generating concept sketches and foam mock-ups
- creating concept 3D renderings (usually KeyShot) and Powerpoint presentations
- sourcing and quoting for both prototypes and short production runs
- providing 3D CAD (usually in Creo, SolidWorks or Alias) for tooling and working closely with engineering on tooling strategies
- assisting in UI development (including high-level brainstorms, providing assets to embedded software developers, and even deriving mathematical relations for mathematically challenged coders)
- providing detailed CMF and product graphics documentation
- managing junior designers (and sometimes engineers)
I am currently a remote employee operating in the Los Angeles area, but frequently travel to New York for business.
Concept to CAD industrial design and 3D simulation/virtual world development services. Involved in everything from product line development, concept ideation, and 3D CAD documentation to helping develop an Emmy Award-winning 3D virtual world for a large multinational.
Author of the design-centric "Future Imperfect" for Futurismic ( http://futurismic.com ). The column's subject matter is primarily geared toward emerging technologies in fields such as rapid manufacturing and augmented reality.
Contracted to operate as an "Assistant Game Master"; i.e. to provide administrative management of and contribute expertise in relevant topic areas for the Superstruct "serious" game/crowdsourcing effort ( http://www.superstructgame.org ).
Superstruct is/was the first massively multi-player foresight game launched by the Institute for the Future. The effort officially ran for six weeks and now continues unofficially.
Originally contracted to provide art direction and virtual world user experience/marketing advice for the development of MTV's first virtual world project, Virtual Laguna Beach, I primarily assumed the traditional role of 3D Technical Director; both managing subcontractors and contributing as designer/3D modeler/texture artist. Duties included everything from generating concept art for approval by the show's producers to coordinating with other content development groups as well as maintaining a localized version of the virtual world application for content validation and final preparation for deployment. The project was awarded an Emmy in 2008.
Contributed written entries to Core77's design-related news blog from 2005 until 2006.
Moderated the Core77 design forum from 2004 until 2005, including the organization and management of the first forum-based design competition.
Senior product designer assigned to Food Prep, Home Environment, Garment Care, and Specialty product lines under the Black & Decker brand. Involved in all aspects of product development; often including mechanism design, product graphics, and marketing visuals. Acquired additional, significant overseas experience in China and Mexico while managing product development projects.
Primarily involved in on-site Alias design modeling for a national design consulting firm.
Staff designer assigned to hardware, seasonal and cleaning product category teams. Involved in all aspects of product development; from consumer encounters market research to Pro/ENGINEER CAD; from concept ideation to overseas tooling, including product development in both Japan and China.
On-site industrial design contractor primarily responsible for generating product concepts and design control drawings. Significant time spent developing handheld/mobile wireless data collection devices, consumer media storage products, industrial hardware (welders, spray guns, aso) and lawn products.
Commissioned officer with primary duties having included:
- Ship's Navigator and Administrative Department Head
- Ship's Lead Engineer/QA Team Manager for major ship's overhaul (>$40M)
- Division Officer responsible for concurrently managing two engineering divisions of over 70 personnel.
- Command Duty Officer qualified; primary Officer of the Deck (underway/special ops)
Secondary duties included but not limited to: Ship's Training Officer, Firefighting Team Leader, Ship's Self Defense Force Team Leader, and Ship's Overseas Liaison.