Senior Industrial Designer
Universal Display & Fixtures Company
Mar 2007 - Present (14 years 7 months)
• Develop permanent & temporary displays, fixtures, & millwork that worked right the first time, and were on budget.
• Specialize in complex projects involving novel material & manufacturing approaches, motion, non-standard product orientation, compound angles, and difficult load requirements.
• Produce photorealistic renderings of concepts for presentation to clients & use in sales materials, often in place of photos.
• Consult with manufacturing to improve quality, reduce costs, & learn the capabilities & limitations of in-house machinery.
• Detail drawings & BOM’s of concepts that were comparable to those of professional engineers on staff, & coordinated other projects throughout engineering phase, including specifications & drawings for import quote and manufacture.
• Oversee production of prototypes working directly with artisans, provided specialty drawings used in one-off production.
• Remain flexible to rapid changes, provided resolutions, troubleshooting, documented changes, & kept projects on track.
• Travel to program sites & carried out complex installations, and/or supervised other personnel.
• Research & recommend software for agile enterprise & PDM, launched corporate wiki, headed initiative to reuse data & form corporate knowledge base.
Setsudo Design & Build
Jan 2002 - Mar 2007 (5 years 2 months)
• Provided consulting & design services to agencies for a wide range of end clients including Fortune 500 clients.
• Worked transparently within design cycle of client organizations to provide any type of design document needed.
• Deciphered limited, ambiguous, & sometimes contradictory design criteria, under tight deadlines, to produce winning solutions.
• Rendered projects complete with accurate product load & produced pilot graphic programs from scratch.
• Drafted extremely detailed & comprehensive production drawings, which afforded clients the freedom to split projects up between manufacturers (including import) and have the resultant parts work together reliably.
E&E Display Group
1998 - 2002 (4 years)
• Researched & implemented hardware & software platform (SolidWorks) for established design department.
• Trained employees in use of AutoCAD, 3D Studio MAX, SolidWorks, & associated best practices.
• Modelled permanent & temporary displays in parametric 3D with an eye towards in-house manufacturing technology.
• Provided drawings for estimating department outlining materials, processes, & fulfilment of displays.
• Drafted complete manufacturing drawings, cut-lists, & BOM’s in the absence of an in-house engineering department.
• Fabricated and assembled various prototypes, generally assisted with prototyping duties.
• Provided specialized drawings for & occasionally authored set-up instructions.
• Engineered complex packaging, shipping containers, pallet load-outs, & KDF logic that protected displays.
Vidpro International Inc.
1996 - 1998 (2 years)
• Researched & implemented hardware & software platform (Pro-E) for newly formed design department.
• Developed departmental workflow, methodology, project management, & wrote job descriptions.
• Travelled nationally & internationally to work with vendors & oversee installation of displays.
• Sourced new vendors & manufacturers, researched capabilities, toured facilities, & made final recommendations.
• Worked on new & existing point-of-purchase, exhibit, & product designs - from sketch to rollout.
• Designed & handcrafted precision vacuum forming patterns & pulled prototype runs.
• Engineered complex plastic extrusions & co-extrusions involving high tolerances & specialized manufacturing.
• Conceptualized & engineered low-run injection moulded parts & oversaw development of associated tooling.
• Mentored under Houston James – over 50 years experience in the POP industry.