Product Category Management Consultant / Industrial Design and Development
Indochine Development Group, LLC
Feb 2007 - Present (14 years 7 months)
Founder / Principal, Indochine Development Group- offering comprehensive brand-driven product solutions
Collaborative consulting with focus on concept-through-production product ideation, branding, design, development, and manufacturing from turn-key or specific services.
• Managing an interactive group of design and development professionals to meet specific client needs.
• Create a full-spectrum of brand-focused product category strategies.
• Work intimately with creative teams to imagine, craft, develop, and manufacture products.
• Generate creative collateral to support product category strategies.
• Integrate strategies into existing and new production and sourcing networks.
• Assure timely management and execution of offshore and domestic manufacturing via co-owned overseas office.
• Professional Clients include NAU, Bvlgari, Mondetta, Special Operations / DARPA (Military/Tactical), Polo/RLX, MEDIUM,Adobe, Under Armour, Briggs & Riley Travelware, US Military advanced program under M.I.T., Jansport Japan, Sena Cases, Michael Kors, Motorola Mobility/SOL, Sons of Trade, G99 Military
• Luggage, accessories, handbags, apparel, technical outdoor, military,and footwear.
Santa Barbara, CA
Jan 2008 - Jul 2010 (2 years 6 months)
Creative brand concept and development responsible of all aspects of a premium and cutting-edge startup. Also acting as chief product architect for luggage, bags, and accessories aimed at an emerging category.
• Co-founder of original premium brand concept and direction with global distribution in Japan, Europe, and the US.
• Implemented numerous start-up operational aspects including sales, distribution, marketing, and product.
• Created business plans and all supporting financial analysis assisting to secure operational investment funding.
• Design, development, and sourcing of FW08-SP10 premium luggage and accessory product lines.
• Opened an innovative overseas design facility implementing speed-to-market processes.
• Reached business plan revenue goals through the implementation of our initial business strategy.
• Successfully launched sales programs to Neiman Marcus, Fred Segal, Barney’s Tokyo, Brooklyn Circus, and other boutique channels.
Senior Director of Product - Technical Categories
Mar 2003 - Mar 2007 (4 years)
Directed technical categories in the Patagonia line worth over $100M globally including M and W Technical Outerwear, Alpine Climbing, Ski, Snowboard, Luggage, Packs, Bags, Fly Fishing Accessories and others.
• Detailed comprehensive product strategies in direct alignment with Patagonia’s core values.
• Promoted a design-based and intimate-sourcing philosophy focused on pairing “best product” with strategic plans, revenue projections, and corporate environmental initiatives.
• Grew ski/snowboard sales through strategic line planning from $7M to $15M in 2 seasons.
• Worked closely with marketing teams to craft a new brand/product architecture with the goal of simplifying the brand’s messaging and creating best-of-class product in design, innovation, and quality.
• Instrumental in developing PDM design and development management system allowing teams to maintain consistent process and meet corporate timelines.
• Commenced ground-up technical shell initiative based on formal design process methods.
• Implemented mandate to convert 100% of all materials used to “closed loop” recycling-capable. Led to highly innovative products including world’s first near 100% recycled outerwear and insulation programs.
• Co-Managed P&L for all business units according to financial plans. Raised gross margin by 5%.
• Present globally to senior executive team, sales, dealers, press. Regularly prepared strategies for Board of Directors.
Category Director of Hardgoods
Mar 2003 - Mar 2004 (1 year)
Managed all hardgoods, luggage, and accessories categories worth over $25M annually. Responsible for overall strategic vision and P&L of categories including all aspects of the design and development team outputs.
• Developed extensive 1,3 and 5 year brand-focused strategies for each category based on detailed research.
• Created long-term design language and technology foundation in materials and functionality.
• Worked intimately with creative teams to craft and execute significant product launches.
• Conducted design reviews, approved all aspects of aesthetics, color, and merchandising.
• Reinvented Patagonia’s luggage, pack ,and bag category more than doubling sales in 2 years.
• Managed P&L for business units according to financial plans. Raised gross margin by over 4%.
• Created detailed marketing strategies, directed category catalog copy and marketing materials.
• Extensive design, development, sourcing, sales, and market-related travel both international and domestic.
• Researched, evaluated, audited, and opened 3 critical overseas manufacturing facilities.
Category Director of Softgoods
Feb 1999 - Feb 2003 (4 years)
Responsible for all aspects of design, development, strategic, and P&L functions related to K2’s emerging softgoods business including line evolution, creative direction, marketing concept and strategy.
• Worked intimately with design and development to craft and implement successful line plans.
• Integrated with global sales and marketing teams to introduce all new product categories and brand strategies.
• Leveraged internal and external resources across multiple brands to create highly innovative product, customer satisfaction, marketplace strength, and shareholder value.
• Integrated new Hong Kong office and strategically consolidated vendors to acheive manufacturing efficiencies, acheive target margins, and to grow sales to $15M. Grew category GM 6%.
• Carefully crafted distinct brand positioning for multibrand “tiered” strategy resulting in 120% compounded growth.
• Created women’s-specific, big mountain, and pro-team focused product lines targeted at reaching strategic goals.
• Extensive sourcing, design, and development-related travel. Established and maintained critical relationships throughout supply chain particularly in Vietnam, Shanghai, Taiwan, Italy, Hong Kong.
Product Line Director
Feb 1997 - 1999 (2 years 7 months)
Accountable for all aspects of design, development, and marketing for sourced snowboard product including footwear, bindings, tools, backcountry, and technical apparel categories.
• Performed detailed lineplans and competitor’s analysis based on cross-functional group feedback.
• Reported directly to VP/GM and engineering VP’s to advise development and marketing strategies aimed at meeting key timelines and maximizing program growth, margin, and brand strength.
• Direct revenue planning and P&L responsibility for all sourced product categories.
• Created and evolved K2’s highly successful "Clicker" step-in boot/binding business to become the clear market leader, achieving more than 40% market share and 60% of K2’s total winter business.
• Responsible for creating and growing several successful categories including backcountry, helmets, and apparel capturing more than $3M in the 1st season prior to becoming separate units.
• Developed thorough knowledge in licensing, patents, and trademarks.
Product Line Manager boots, bindings, hardgoods
Mar 1995 - 1997 (2 years 6 months)
Responsible for creating and developing a strategic line of innovative snowboard boots and binding systems, including the highly innovative and successful step-in binding category. Developed competitive marketing strategies to establish distinct brand positioning.
• Collaborated with industrial designers and mechanical engineers to progress project timelines to tooling, sales sampling ,and production stages.
• Designed, developed, and patented several unique and successful product solutions.
• Traveled and worked extensively in both Europe and Asia for design, development, sales, sourcing, and quality.
• Worked closely with a myriad of vendors to combine unique materials and designs.
• Developed a full-spectrum skill set pertaining to injection molding, tooling, plastic and metal materials, research, and technical footwear constructions.
• Extensive involvement in developing and executing on-snow and lab testing scenarios with strategic partners Shimano in Japan.