Founder / Industrial Designer
Jun 2008 - Present (13 years 2 months)
· Work with clients on design strategy, user experience (UX), and industrial design.
· Coach process to identify new product ideas and develop concepts beyond the initial idea through whiteboarding, hand drawing, digital sketching, prototyping and presentations.
· Medical Device: Phase 1: Case redesign for a tunable medical device; Phase 2: designed an adapter and clamp to hold the device in a fixed location.
· Marketing project: built to-scale topographical model of land holdings, facilities and future project scope from maps for a non-profit youth development camp. Used in a successful fundraising and vision casting campaign.
Lead Industrial Designer
Sep 2010 - Aug 2019 (8 years 11 months)
(company closed) Reported to the President / Engineering Manager (electrical engineer) in development of a product vision and user experience (UX) for new and redesigned medical devices within an ISO 13485 environment.
* Owned all aspects of the design and iteration process from research to ideation, mockups, 3D modeling, presentations, and development of engineering drawings and models for production.
* Managed 3 - 5 long-term projects at varying stages of ideation / production at any given time. Able to flex and pivot based on shifting priorities. Collaborated with the engineering team to keep a customer centric design while maintaining simplicity and cost.
* Pro-actively addressed critical project elements to prevent delays or project redesigns. Found innovative solutions to seemingly conflicting requirements by resolving assumptions and requirements with user needs.
* Collaborated with internal stakeholders in mechanical engineering, machining, quality control and accounting to create solutions based on design best practices.
* Advocate for end user: worked with regulatory and electrical engineer to reduce complexity of standby mode button on a new camera system to use existing design with improved layout of signifiers
* Design improvement: lead designer in collaboration with the president to refresh/redesign a legacy camera system. Changed the light source, replaced the camera sensor (allowed in-house design of software and hardware). End-product was significantly smaller, portable and had capability for integrated video screen.
* Rapid prototyping: single day turn around, using only materials on hand, from idea pitch in the AM to design and prototyping a rough concept model to delivery to the in-house 3D printer to construction and testing of the prototype by end of day. (ChoanaCath)
Woojin America / ICX Global
Sep 2006 - Jun 2008 (1 year 9 months)
Lead designer for concept design through mass production. Included creation of production documentation for the factory and approving samples for production.
* Delivered product specification drawings that ensured a complete, detailed and accurate sample build.
* Smartswitch - developed case design, and physical functionality of a safety product designed to listen for a smoke alarm and shut off power to appliances plugged into the Smartswitch. Worked closely with the client, provided prototypes, consulted on aesthetics and wrote production documents for the factory.