Principal Design Lead
Sep 2019 - Present (1 year 8 months)
Develops strategies and guides interdisciplinary teams across Chick-fil-A and our partners to best represent the brand in restaurant environments. Subject matter expert in customer and brand communication in physical spaces. Work focuses around environment design and branding, wayfinding, and signage.
Ellen finds passion in helping teams effectively utilize the creative process – identifying goals and addressing them through design strategy, storytelling and exploration.
Brand and Communication Design
Apr 2017 - Sep 2019 (2 years 5 months)
Ellen helped build Little’s Brand Communication and Design team in their Arlington, VA office. She has worked across a variety project types including retail, workplace, hospitality, and healthcare with many notable clients including Adobe, Google, Paypal and YMCA.
San Francisco Chapter Chair
San Francisco, CA
Aug 2015 - Aug 2017 (2 years)
• Promotes San Francisco Bay Area design community while aligning with SEGD organizational and local chapter goals.
• Outreach efforts aimed to expand knowledge of EGD profession and community.
• Organizes volunteers, speakers and sponsors for 6-8 yearly chapter events.
• Art directed and managed production of 2015 annual conference collateral including: conference identity, staging,
environmental graphics, signage, printed schedule, presentation templates, and responsive conference website.
• Planning committee member for 2016 International Chapter Chair Summit
Palo Alto, CA
Sep 2013 - Apr 2017 (3 years 7 months)
• Co-Founded award winning Media Objectives studio
• Led efforts to create, develop and launch Media Objectives as an operational independent studio by defining processes, documentation standards, fee structures and project closeout procedures.
• Responsible for oversight of overall West Coast studio including business development, marketing direction, client relations, project management, staff management & scheduling, resource allocation, contracts, billings, project scheduling and budget review.
• Led teams of designers through entirety of project including research, conceptual development, refinement, developing contract drawings for production, directing vendors and contractors, management and evaluation of bid process, oversight of production, punch, and art direction and orchestration of project photography.
• Facilitated Media Objectives and VDTA studio staff to work collaboratively on projects from early phases of design to enhance potential of spaces for cohesively designed and branded spaces.
• Clients included: Google, Adobe, SanDisk, PayPal, eBay, VMware, Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo, UC Davis and Walsh College
Sr. Environmental Graphic Designer
Sep 2011 - Aug 2013 (1 year 11 months)
• Develop branding & environmental graphic design for interior & exterior spaces, signage & wayfinding programs, tradeshow exhibits, and marketing & media strategies by combining graphic, exhibition and industrial design skill sets. Works collaboratively with internal architecture and interior design departments to develop well rounded, cohesively branded spaces.
• Project manager, art direct design team and oversee budget, time lines and vendor production from kick off through final install. Research client stories and brand to generate appropriate designs for projects. Gather inspiration reference, sketch design ideas, and research new materials & production methods. Develop final design documents & renderings, and assemble client presentations. Prepare construction documents, collect & assess vendor bids, and oversee production & quality control.
• Work closely with clients, vendors, creative director, project managers and designers on projects for The Atlanta Braves Chophouse - Restaurant, University of Georgia - Swimming and Volleyball Facility, Ihop Express Restaurant - Atlanta Airport, Skanska - Corporate Environmental Branding, IDI - Tradeshow Booth and Corporate Environmental Graphics, and numerous Credit Unions' and Banks' Environmental Graphic Design and Branding, Hooters - Environmental Branding & Prototype Brand Guideline Book.
Industrial and Graphic Designer
New York, NY
Sep 2005 - Sep 2010 (5 years)
• Developed exhibition and product design projects as primary 3-D designer. The process involved initial concept development, material and process research, prototype testing, drafting final CAD drawings, production oversight, and quality control.
• Designed, art directed, and oversaw production on range of 2-D design projects including, but not limited to: packaging, advertising, logo and brand development, website design, photoshoots, and photo editing.
• Collaborated with project managers to aid budget planning, scheduling, client and vendor correspondence.
• Worked closely with over 20 clients, including: Snapple, Dr Pepper, American Red Cross, Toyota, Timex, Kiss My Face, PrimaLoft, and Panama Jack.