CREATIVE PROJECT DIRECTOR
Renwick Creative Services
2004 - Present (17 years)
Project Director for companies from small, owner-operated to Fortune 500 firms and international agencies, managing and executing creative projects. Work closely, direct with corporate clients and for agency teams to identify innovative print and digital solutions for businesses representing a variety of industries including publishing, construction, tech, real estate, and start-up.
• Project work includes corporate identity, building brand guidelines, re-branding campaigns, and marketing support materials including brochures, annual reports, banners, flyers and more
• Manage photography needs including logistics and model management for live shoots, and selecting and purchasing stock photos for campaigns
Vernon Hills, IL
Aug 2013 - May 2019 (5 years 9 months)
Directed project planning, execution, and product development for a $27.8M company that develops adaptable, customized educational products for school districts, administrators, teachers, and stay-at-home parents. Responsible for ensuring continuous improvements in the project management process, strengthening relationships with marketing, product development, and other leads across the organization, while training and managing the performance of a design team and 18+ freelancers.
• Art directed/managed company’s first Amazon product line – STEM at Play® – including package design/structure, product specs, layout, and logo; exceeded 1st-year revenue goals by 25%
• Led implementation and execution of new image database software (Extensis Portfolio), decreasing designer image search times by 70% and increasing the team’s productivity by 45%; also trained Sales, Marketing and Product Development teams to use the image database, decreasing requests to my team for images by 65% and increasing their time spent toward project completion work
• Led rebranding efforts for the company, created logo, packaging guardrails, defined corporate colors,fonts, and photography guidelines, contributing to a new brand strategy for 2019
SENIOR GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Vernon Hills, IL
Jan 2007 - Aug 2013 (6 years 7 months)
Lead designer and project manager on numerous design and production projects for marketing and product development teams, creating logo designs, tradeshow signage, brochures, catalogs, sales and marketing flyers, and other specialty projects as needed, on time and within budget.
• Senior-level hands-on role in layout and design of each seasonal catalog (up to 256 pages), from concept to production and approval, guiding template development, image retouching, typography, file structure maintenance, PDF routing, FTP and proof approvals
• Created, updated, and implemented product guidelines for STEM in Action®, Hands-On Standards®, VersaTiles® Home Team Advantage, Reading Rods®, City Steps™, and Differentiated Math Center programs
• Awarded membership in the STEM in Action cross-functional team for exceeding goals as creative lead in launching the first eight modules
• Managed and hired all freelance designers for the new STEM product line
• Established a new workflow process using InCopy and Acrobat Pro, cutting the number of requested revisions by 50%, allowing creative teams and product development teams to better focus on advancing project work. Collaborated with IT to secure software within budget, and trained multiple teams on software use, also creating a reference guidebook
• Mentored and coached designers and production artists in terms of design, technique, production procedures and overall aspects of the educational publishing market
• Organized and managed a new creative server, defining new folder structure and archiving of marketing and product materials improving new product reprints and efficiencies in retrieving old files (83,000+ files)
Vernon Hills, IL
May 2001 - Jan 2007 (5 years 8 months)
Created and designed new packaging, logos and books from concept to completion (VersaTimer™, CitySteps™, SuperSource®, Learn About™, Learning With™, VersaTiles®, Figuro™, GeoFiguro™, FractionTower® Cards, Math Rods™, Reading Rods® Readers, Reading Rods Alpha Books, and Reading Rods Alpha Books en español.
• As an intern (2001 – 2002), organized 1,800+ new images to a central location on server for the creative team. Created and implemented file naming conventions, checked and corrected specs and continually worked with the creative team to maintain proper file management