Industrial Designer II
Jan 2016 - Present (5 years 8 months)
Utilized trend research, market awareness, and design tools to develop new hearth products for multiple brands. Created Solidworks models and renderings of new stove, insert, and fireplace concepts to deliver on design brief goals and timelines. Collaborated with Brand Directors, offsite engineering teams, and suppliers to create cost effective and manufacturing friendly new products and improve existing offering through the development of exclusive porcelain finishes.
• Developed Brand Language guidelines to drive aesthetic direction and brand differentiation strategy for the 9 core HHT Stove and Fireplace brands.
• Designed the first new cast iron Stove and Insert in 20 years for heritage brand, Vermont Castings.
Lead Designer | Maker | Owner
KDKD Design/Secret Basement Lab Studio
Saint Paul, MN
Jun 2005 - Present (16 years 3 months)
Designed and manufactured furniture and reclaimed material jewelry products sold in juried craft fairs, art galleries, farmer’s markets (as Secret Basement Lab Studios). Produced custom product for clients.
• Designed furniture line that won the Northern Woods Exhibition Judges Award in 2006, selling pieces from the collection at 526 Gallery in Saint Paul that were featured in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Woodworker magazine, and Twin Cities Metropolitan magazine.
Industrial Design Manager
Jun 2015 - Dec 2015 (6 months)
Solidworks specialist for LogicSource Best Buy fixture procurement field team.
Managed relationship with Best Buy Design and Engineering team for fixture Sourcing/Procurement group.
• Created Drawings Specialist SOP and managed Solidworks files for fixture sourcing exercises including developing process for tracking EPDM files by Best Buy Item ID.
• Quarterly all company award winner for Innovation in role. Mobilized and managed LogicSource HQ team (Norwalk, CT) to gather hundreds of fixture specs in three days, meeting a quick turn deadline.
Aug 2010 - Mar 2015 (4 years 7 months)
Indoor furniture: upholstery, kitchen/dining 2014-2015
Wall decor: 3D wall decor, shelving, mirrors, clocks, gallery art 2013-2014
Outdoor living: furniture, rugs, cushions, planters, garden, grilling 2010-2013
Partnered with design team to create concepts and product direction for thousands of products per merchant objectives. Collaborated on product development with overseas vendor partners until items were market ready. Partnered with marketing teams on multi-channel quality messaging strategy. Products included 2 utility patented, 24 design patented, and 4-patent pending items.
• Created process to reduce testing failures resulting from packaging call outs, reducing failures 90% and easing workload of QA engineer and overseas team members.
• Lead development of low cost consumer research-based design process; created insights gathering process and mentored team members through multiple projects including one project that shifted wall décor quality strategy to align with consumer needs.
• Designed a storage mirror, which ranked 3rd in sales for mirrors when launched in only half the chain.
• Trained 80+ personnel in product development process and GroveSite software, ensuring new team members were equipped to follow Target processes and effectively manage product development.
Furniture Designer | Maker
Duff Thury Studio Furniture
Saint Paul, MN
Jun 2005 - Jul 2010 (5 years 1 month)
Produced sketches, drawings, and scale drawings of products. Presented designs to customers including architects, interior designers, home owners, and to company owner for approval, and discussed modifications.
• Researched production costs, materials, and manufacturing methods, directing and coordinating product fabrication.
• Hand-crafted unique products, utilizing multiple materials including a Twin's stadium playhouse for a Common Bond Communities auction and a Kite installation for artist JoAnn Weber.
• Created expertly crafted high-end furniture products using woodworking, welding, and finishing skills.
Furniture Design and Manufacturing
Saint Cloud, MN
May 2004 - Jun 2005 (1 year 1 month)
Designed and engineered furniture and operated multiple manufacturing tasks during production, including final assembly. Developed manufacturing procedures and inventory control process.
• Developed 30+ furniture items from concept to implementation and manufacturing.