Freelance Hands-on Creative + Art Director
2012 - Present (9 years)
Vancouver, Canada Area
Independently tackle diverse, complex projects ranging from responsive web redesigns to brand refreshment, for clients representing an array of industries. Focused on concept and strategy.
Have worked with University of California, Berkeley; Stern Grove Festival Association; Prosper.com, Delve Fonts; and more.
• Brand refresh for University of California, Berkeley’s Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies.
• Concepts + designs for posters and collateral, spanning five seasons, for the University of California, Berkeley's Department of Theater, Dance, and Performance Studies.
• Invitations and collateral for six seasons of The Big Picnic, a VIP fundraising event held for San Francisco’s iconic Stern Grove Festival.
• Interviewed by Career Contessa and featured on their site
• Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts: Communicator Award of Distinction (x4)
• Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts: Davey Awards Silver Winner (x2)
• American Graphic Design & Advertising 32: Award of Distinction (x4)
• Creative Quarterly Magazine: Runner-Up, Professional Graphic Design category
• Graphic Design USA Magazine: American Graphic Design Awards (x8)
• Graphic Design USA Magazine: American Web Design Award 2019
• Graphis: Advertising Annual Silver Award (x2) and Merit Award (x1)
• Graphis: Graphic Design Annual 2019 Silver Award
• Graphis: Poster Annual 2020 Silver Award
• Graphis: Poster Annual Merit Award (x8)
• Graphis: Type 4: Type in Use Merit Award
• Hiiibrand: Hiii Typography 2018 Bronze Award
• Indigo Design Award 2019: Silver (x1) and Bronze (x3)
Manager, Design Services
San Francisco Travel Association
San Francisco, CA
2010 - 2012 (2 years)
Built first-ever, in-house design division of nonprofit marketing a premier international destination. Expanded a logo and two fonts into a full-fledged brand look. Strategic sourcing of production vendors, resulting in five-figure savings annually. Managed external creative agencies to ensure consistent look/voice. Tended to needs of 80+ colleagues.
• Creative and art direction of “Dine About Town” B2C print + digital campaign, comprised of 33 deliverables. Work included design, copywriting.
• Art direction and design of B2B “San Francisco Has Never Looked More Golden” campaign including invitations, HTML emails, booklets, client gifts, sell sheets and more.
• Conceptualized, wrote, and designed “SF Snapshot” B2C brochure, distributed to thousands of convention attendees annually.
Graphic Design USA Magazine: American Inhouse Design Awards (x2)
Freelance Graphic Designer
1998 - 2010 (12 years)
Intermittent (’98–’07) to full-time (’07–’10) work on projects including print and web design, logos, and illustration. Served small and mid-sized clients in apparel, hospitality, performing arts, and other industries.
Freelance work published in:
• Big Book of Logos 5
• Business Cards 1: Bright Ideas from Around the World
• Logos 2: Bright Ideas in Logo Design from Around the World
• Design DNA: Logos
Kelly Rizley Advertising & PR, Inc.
Fort Collins, CO
2003 - 2007 (4 years)
Hands-on design and copywriting at regional advertising agency. Wrote + presented several ad pitches. Managed freelancers.
• Developed 30+ touchscreen kiosks for Wyoming Travel & Tourism — wrote + presented winning pitch, visual + UI design, wrote voiceover scripts for video content, oversaw development team.
• Refreshed Visit Cheyenne’s 20-page visitor’s guide + designed two new brochures, creating family of guides.
• Recruitment materials for Laramie County Community College, including creative direction and design of a statewide print campaign and interactive CD-ROM.
OTHER CLIENTS: Frontier Oil (now HollyFrontier Corporation), United Way of Laramie County, Wells Fargo, Wyoming Department of Health.
Fort Collins, CO
2006 - 2007 (1 year)
Worked in Colorado office of agency that markets top travel, hospitality and entertainment brands. Focus was Colorado Tourism Office's heritage tourism efforts. Designed logo and website comps, and wrote project proposals/pitches.
Brainstormed with Kansas City team on their winning pitch to the Colorado Tourism Office for a $14 million marketing contract.
Summer Graphic Design & Marketing Intern
Fort Collins Utilities
Fort Collins, CO
1999 - 2000 (1 year)
In-house intern for municipal government agency during summer breaks from college. Was allowed to take the reins on a variety of print design projects:
• Large format public displays
• Screen printed t-shirts
• Newspaper ads
• B2C brochures and booklets
• B2B logos
• Classroom worksheets
Projects afforded many opportunities to illustrate and write copy. Additionally, assisted marketing team with daily and backlogged marketing tasks, including updates to CRM database and news clipping logs.